Web version of Gmail is down (working with some IMAP accounts). And I am learning few things here :
1. How to back up your gmail account ?
2. Developers and Server Administrators are HUMANS. Even google can have occasional server glitches.
3. There is something known as IMAP and POP.
4. Dont put your life – critical stuff on one web service even if it is Google. TRUST YOUR BACKUPS. Take Backups or store your data somewhere else. Whether its delicious or gmail or twitter. You dont know what you need in next moment. here is http://www.gmail-backup.com/
5. Life is more than just checking emails.
6. There is something known as gears Gmail offline with google Gears – http://lifehacker.com/5140668/gmail-goes-offline-with-google-gears
7. Its a rare outage. Just don’t leave gmail back to your corporate emails again. Its one of the best SAAS in market.
8. We know gmail on iphone is working, but don’t expect next iphone ad to feature this – “Gmail was working on iphone even when gmail was not working“.
9. Acknoweldge fast if there is trouble : Google almost puts up an update on gmail help page as naturally people were looking at their help page.
“We’re aware of a problem with Gmail affecting a number of users. This problem occurred at approximately 1.30AM Pacific Time. We’re working hard to resolve this problem and will post updates as we have them. We apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused.”
10. If you have doubts that any of your web services is not working, don’t disturb your co workers. visit twitter.com or Google apps status Dashboard
11. Its the first anniversary of Amazon Web Services Outage. On 15 of February last year. February is not the good month for big companies.
12. Don’t depend on any cloud computing service for customer services. Have a backup system ready : “
Calm down guys. Its good that email is down. Now do some productive work.