The situation was: running Ruby 1.8.4, Rails 1.1.2, on WinXP & WEBrick server.

My application was working fine, but as I installed Rmagick my application crashed.
I got strange errors like:

compile error /script/../config/../app/views/layouts/application.rhtml:18: parse error, unexpected $, expecting kEND

if I refresh again the error actually changes(further refreshes flip back & forth between errors):

compile error

/script/../config/../app/views/layouts/application.rhtml:18: Invalid char `01′ in expression

./script/../config/../app/views/layouts/application.rhtml:19: parse error, unexpected tCONSTANT, expecting kEND

./script/../config/../app/views/layouts/application.rhtml:20: parse error, unexpected tCONSTANT, expecting kEND

./script/../config/../app/views/layouts/application.rhtml:21: Invalid char `06′ in expression

./script/../config/../app/views/layouts/application.rhtml:21: parse error, unexpected $, expecting kEND

Then my colleagues told me the root of this problem, this was because of tabs in .rhtml files. Also they told me the simple solution:

Put template = template.gsub(/\t/, ” “)  in your

\vendor\rails\actionpack\lib\action_view\base.rb file at line 496 as very first line of def compile_template
Restart webserver and you are done….

Share this:

Privacy Preference Center